Claire emailed us recently in the hopes we could help her out. Here's what she had to say: "I've seen you lend a helping hand to several readers with designing dilemmas and I was hoping for a bit of help myself. I just signed the lease on a wonderful studio-type apartment near Dumbo in Brooklyn. Now I say "studio-type" because it feels more like 3 rooms connected to create a long living space and although I know it has loads of potential, I'm struggling with where to start! Should I paint the entire space one color? If I do different colors for each space will that be too much? What about a gradient going from ochre in the 'bedroom' to a paler yellow in the kitchen? I also have to reckon with my boyfriend's tastes - not that they're bad - but I have to make sure that it doesn't seem to girly or to 'me'. Do you have any pictures in your arsenal that could be inspiring for this project?" Below are a couple photos from
Flickr she has of the apartment.
Why Claire, I think I may have found a few photos to inspire the design genius in you! Admittedly, it was a bit tough finding photos of rooms that are connected but have a little bit of a separation with walls. My gut is telling me that bright white all over and working some magic with art and furnishings would be an easy fix. I don't think I would do different colours - the apartment isn't very large and having each space a different colour would make it appear smaller. If you aren't into white (or a light grey, my fav), I would select a colour (I'd keep it light) and then pick the 2 shades next to it on the paint chip - similar to what you are suggesting with the yellow to ochre. I think the subtle change in shade from room to room would have a really nice effect, and would keep the spaces flowing. I am including some photos of different colours in each space as well, in case you choose to ignore me (that's been known to happen). And please folks, leave a comment if you have some thoughts on this. Help a girl in design distress.
No comments:
Post a Comment